I am here:

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Am I really that upset the U.S. didn't win the World Cup?

It was 120 minutes of pure frustration watching the US loose to Ghana on Saturday. I have been attempting to convince myself for the last 3 weeks the US actually have a shot at winning the World cup this time around, and completing our circle of total world domination in everything we do as a country. The reality of the situation donned on me as I was driving home from watching the painful final game versus Ghana... We are just not that good at soccer. I finally had to admit it to myself.

My 30 seconds of frustration was then followed by a mood altering thought. But wait! We don't even have our best athletes on the field! What if every kid in America grew up like other kids do in these soccer powerhouse countries? What if, when I was ten years old I moved away from home to go to soccer school, playing 5 hours a day and filling in the rest of the time in the classroom as a second priority? Did you know this happens outside of the US? These kids are not doing anything but playing soccer since they leave the womb! It's not even fair!

Okay. I'm calm now.

Let's just pretend for a moment the only sport anyone cared about in the US was in fact soccer. What if we had the athletic bodies and talent of players on our team such as Dwight Howard, Reggie Bush, Adrian Petersen, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Deron Williams out there? We would destroy everyone, that's what would happen.

The list goes on of who could really be out there representing us if things were different. But they are not.

Me and my wishful thinking...

At least I felt better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment